Sunday, September 11, 2005

 

22 Years Ago...


The greatest Dodgers game that I ever saw as it unfolded wasn't Game 1 of the 88 World Series. For whatever reason, my TV screen went fuzzy just before that game, leaving me in a sea of curses. Fortunately, the audio still worked so I could "see" through the words of Vin Scully. So there I was screaming and yelling when Vin exclaimed "Sheeee is gone!" as Gibson hit the homerun - staring at a TV screen filled with black-and-white static.

Last year, I was stuck at work on the Saturday that Finley hit the walk-off homerun that clinched the division. All I had was a small radio and GameDay. Again, happy with the win but bitter about missing the moment...

The most memorable game that I did catch was a while back. It was an afternoon game on TV, and the Dodgers had slowly fought back. R. J. Reynolds then laid down a squeeze bunt in the 9th to win the game. A SQUEEZE BUNT! I distinctly remember a shot of the celebration that ensued on to the field and in the stands. Lasorda jumped out from the dugout with his hands in the air as if he lost his mind. I too was jumping up and down, absolutely shocked at the play and deliriously happy.

I was 11 years old. I was hooked.

That game was on 9/11/83. Thanks to Dodger Thoughts for bringing back some good memories.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?